Rule #6 IT’S ON YOU - From 7 Rules Of Life
IT’S ON YOU - Only you are in charge of your happiness.
How would you define happiness? It's true that happiness is based on our own efforts, but it's an elusive emotion, and for many people it's a moving target because what makes them happy today, is not what will make them happy tomorrow. How then, can we capture the treasured happiness that we are in charge of for our own lives?
Here are some thoughts about how to make sure the story of our life leads us down a path of happiness and fulfillment:
1. Be True To Yourself. - It's easy to focus on our faults, weaknesses and failures, but it's important to remind ourselves that no one is perfect. There are a lot of things about ourselves that we can't change, so embrace yourself - give yourself some credit; learn to love and accept who you are.
2. Don't Complain and Blame - While there are a list of things about our life that we cannot change - there is also a long of list of things that we CAN change. Pointing fingers at someone else or blaming our situation is not going to change anything. Take charge of what you can change, and just do it.
3. Find Your Sanctuary - Safety and security are essential components to happiness. Find your own safe place, your quiet haven. Happiness breathes in a place of solitude and peacefulness. Your mind, body and soul need a place to exhale, debrief and recharge.
4. Practice Compassion - Be more generous and compassionate. Find ways to help someone else less fortunate. There is no feeling like the joy of generosity. Even if you don't have much, you can give something of yourself; your time, your energy, a smile. Even the smallest act of compassion can make someone's day.
5. Don’t Let Others Affect Your Happiness - Don't give anyone the power of your happiness. Let their negative comments and attitudes roll right off of your back. A rude, thoughtless person hasn't earned the right to affect your happiness. Shake it off and make the decision to be happy.
6. Put A Stop To Negativity - Think of negativity as wasted energy. You will never find happiness in the never-ending circle of negative thinking.
"Negative thinking definitely attracts negative results." - Norman Vincent Peale
Negative results don't make anyone happy. Clearing away the waste of negativity makes room for positivity, and positivity is a key component to happiness.
7. Be Grateful - The Apostle Paul wrote: "for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therein to be content." - (Philippians 4:11) It's not about where you are in life that should make you happy - it's about who you are in life. Believe it or not, your life may someone else's dream
It's On You